Nanodiamonds (ND) with the average size of 5 nm can be very efficient in lubricants taking part in three different processes:
- Fine lapping of friction surfaces: ND remove micro-notch and level the surface significantly reducing the friction;
- Surface hardening: ND are harder than steel by the factor of fifty, therefore, ND penetrate friction surfaces under a pressure during operating and create a protective diamond surface layer (diffusion coating). This increase in the wear and corrosion resistance and prolong the service life of the parts;
- Nano-bearings: under some pressure and temperature conditions ND particles pass the process of oxidation turning into onion-like-carbons (OLC) which makes them efficient bearings between friction surfaces. This also reduces the friction significantly.
Use ND additives in lubricants results in the following:
- Increase in the power or decrease in the energy consumption
- Easier cold starts
- Noise reduction
- Decrease in exhaust gas emission (in the case of internal combustion engines)
- High reliability and durability (service life increases by the factor of 2-3)
ND lubricants are already entering Global Market in recent years. However, for serious market penetration ND lubricants should be investigated in various processes with diverse materials.
Ray Techniques manufactures ND and ND stable suspensions. Now we are looking for partners interested in joint development of nanodiamond additives to lubricants and their commercialization.